Reality Check: Mobile woman seeks refund from 'unsafe' apartment

(WPMI) Reality Check: Woman seeks refund from 'unsafe' apartment
(WPMI) Reality Check: Woman seeks refund from 'unsafe' apartment

More complaints are rolling in about a dilapidated quadplex on Washington Avenue.

A renter says she paid rent to live there after the city deemed the building unsafe.

NBC 15 has been investigating what the city says are deplorable conditions.

Our investigation launched the city to take action, ticketing the landlord and property owner.

"At this point I am homeless because of this man. I don't have a stable place to live," said Mia Henderson.

Henderson is struggling to get her money back.

A receipt shows Henderson paid landlord James Rudolph $500 for apartment C at 855 South Washington Avenue.

The cash was supposed to cover the unit from June 1st to July 1st.

"I called myself, doing everything right trying to help myself and it's like this guy is giving me a run-around about giving my money back, about me staying in the house," said Henderson.

The problem: the check was issued May 31st, just two days after the city had tenants pack up their bags and move out of the building, deeming the apartment unsafe.

"It was horrible," said Yearnetta Henderson, Mia's mother. "The door was unsafe. There is not an entrance door. You can walk up the street into the apartment. He had a refrigerator in there that had bugs in it. It just was ragedy."

Henderson' mother says she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the apartment and would not let her her daughter stay there.

She says her daughter has mental problems and sickle cell anemia and wasn't fully aware of what she agreed to.

"It's not fair and I don't know how he sleeps at night. I really don't know how he sleeps at night," said Yearnetta.

They had no idea Rudoplh and the property owner were slapped with dozens of tickets for not having the building up to code until she says she saw other victims' stories on NBC 15 News.

Now they are fighting to get their money back.

"He said he was trying to do her a favor. I said how, how are you doing her a favor? I said you are already in limbo concerning this house. He agreed faithfully that he was going to repair the house," said Yearnetta.

Rudolph says Henderson has not removed all her items from the unit and will pay her part of the money once that happens.

Henderson says she filed a police report claiming her electronics were moved out without her permission.

We've requested for a copy of that report.