Crews were called to a duplex along Montgomery Street in Miamisburg early Thursday morning. Investigators say the flames started on the second floor and spread throughout the home. The homeowner told firefighters he was trying to kill insects that were crawling around inside.
Miami Valley Fire District Chief Steve Meadows says if you want to get rid of bugs in your home, call the professionals: "We always recommend to have a professional if you have a rodent or insect problem to alleviate that problem and not to use open flames."
Both families inside the duplex were evacuated with no injuries. The fire caused about $20,000 in damage.