The Mobile County Emergency Management Agency said the Red Cross relocated their shelter operations from Theodore High School to Baker High School Wednesday after Hurricane Sally, which is now a tropical storm.
Baker High School's address is 8901 Airport Blvd, Mobile, AL 36608.
Registration will begin on Wednesday, September 16, 2020, at 6 p.m.
Mobile County EMA said residents who are experiencing power outages or are displaced from their home due to Hurricane Sally should take advantage of sheltering in a safe location.
Due to COVID-19 protocols, all clients are required to wear a mask and will be screened before entering the shelter.
Bring all medications and personal items that may be required for each family member.
Alcoholic beverages, any type of weapon and food other than special dietary requirements will not be allowed. Pets will not be allowed in the shelter.
The Mobile County Health Department will open a Medical Needs Shelter at Baker High School.
The Medical Needs Shelter is a shelter of last resort for patients. Due to COVID 19, a mask will be required for entry unless a medical condition prohibits wearing one. Masks are required for the duration of the stay in the shelter at all times. Temperatures will be checked prior to admission and screening questions will be asked related to COVID-19.
In order to be admitted patients must have the following:
- A caregiver (MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER) – patients will NOT be admitted without one.
- Valid ID
- Medical Supplies and medications for at least 72-96 hours
- Food if a special diet is needed for at least 72 hours.
- Water, hygiene supplies, anything needed on a daily basis.
Patients with certain medical conditions will be admitted on a case by case basis. Examples of these conditions include:
- CPAP, portable ventilators needing power
- Wound care
- IV therapy
- Stable oxygen, nebulizer, or sleep apnea treatment
- Foley/supra-pubic catheter
- Functional and access needs patients
- Wheelchair bound requiring minimal assistance with daily living
Each patient will be triaged and admitted on a case by case basis. Admittance is on a first come first serve basis due to space limitations.