The Boys and Girls Club of South Alabama is celebrating its sixth decade, and thousands of impacted lives. Today, several star students were honored at the Youth of the Year luncheon, shining a light on their bright futures, futures that some at-risk kids never see.
From a poem illustrating the danger that has touched some of their lives, the ceremony was both celebratory as well as reflective.
Demonya Womack, branch director of the Boys and Girls Club of South Alabama, said that he is so inspired by what he does that he gets the urge to run to work every day. “I know I am making an impact,” he said.
Alyssa Vann, a veteran club member, is headed to her first leadership conference in Atlanta soon. She said she started out with not knowing how to channel her energy, which sometimes led her to trouble. Now, the club has taught me how to move forward. “I am the president of the youth Keystone, which is a youth leadership program,” she said. Vann explained that the club saw something in her and invested in her.
That sentiment was echoed by the Youth of the Year, Tiffany Pogue, a Murphy High School grad.
Pogue is headed to Georgia State for college where she will study psychology and pre-med.
“I feel like if more kids joined Boys and Girls Club, they wouldn’t be in violent situations in their communities,” she said. Pogue credits the club for supporting her and helping her to achieve her goals. She takes special interest in kids as a result, encouraging anti-drinking iniatives.
The Boys and Girls Club helping the youth to become strong, well-rounded men and women.
NBC 15 held a town hall discussion with Mobile leaders and law enforcement last month called 'Breaking the Cycle.'
Programs we highlighted in our 'Breaking the Cycle' town hall
- Boys & Girls Academic, Recreational, and Summer Programs 251-208-1650 www.cityofmobile.org/parks
- Love Speaks Youth Mentoring Program Boys& Girls AnnualSummer Program www.lovespeaksinc.org
- Young Kings Mentoring Programs 251-509-4107
- BASSA Academic Services of South Alabama 251-623-5843 email: bassaacademicservices@gmail
- Schools & Cleared ACT PREP Program www.schoolsprograms.org
- Mobile Kappa League Youth Male Mentoring MobileKappaLeague1979@gmail.com
- Alpha Elites Youth Male Mentoring 251-490-8661 email: Thazzard2016@gmail.com
- The DREAM Academy In conjunction with Young Kings Mentoring Group and The Fit Lab 251-298 -7111 email : email@example.com www.schoolsprograms.org
- Youth on The Winning Side summer music camp 251-422-4754 www.yotws-nuimage.com
- The Bridge Youth Summer Program Mobile & Baldwin County 251- 633-0425
- Light of the Village Summer Program 251-367-5383 Camps Run Tuesday-Friday 10:30 A.M. Thru- 2:30 P.M. Ages 5-14
- Camp Faith Chickasaw 920-257-6610 Camps Run Tuesday-Friday 10:30 A.M. Thru- 2:30 P.M. Ages 5-14
- Camp Hope Plateau (251) 776-0906 Camps Run Tuesday-Friday 10:30 A.M. Thru- 2:30 P.M. Ages 5-14
- Harmon Community Center (334) 406-0221 Camps Run Tuesday-Friday 10:30 A.M. Thru- 2:30 P.M. Ages 5-14
- Love Speaks Youth (251)404-4287 Camps Run Tuesday-Friday 10:30 A.M. Thru- 2:30 P.M. Ages 5-14
- Combat Youth Organization (251)264-0257 email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baldwin County High School Afterschool Program email: email@example.com
- HUSH Project (251)442-6373 www.thehushproject.org